"All right, Enough with the chitchat!! The only thing you'll get by flattering me is a swift kick in the ass! Now carry on with the mission!!"
Azusa appears to be both bookish and analytical in her mannerisms but always very respectful towards everyone. She still treats the others that attended the DWMA with her as little kids like a teacher would (clapping to get their attention and telling them to line up and walk in a single file line), much to the embarrassment of the others. Spirit describes her as always being a "bossy little brat", much to Stein's agreement.
On rare occasions she often shows a warmer side to her, from trying to prevent Marie from making a stupid decision to trying to console Kid on his faith towards the Witches.
Physically, She is of average height, being slightly shorter than Justin Law while wearing her usual high-heeled boots. She has small, dark blue eyes. She also wears her neatly combed black hair in a Graduated Bob, short at the back, getting longer towards the front.
Azusa wears rather formal attire, featuring a black blazer worn over a long collared, long-sleeve shirt. This shirt is a plain white color with some kind of Asian style patterns on it that are mostly visible on the shirt's collar and untucked ends. Azusa also wears a pair of black, wide-sleeve pants and brick red high heel boots. She also wears a pair of simple framed glasses.
As a Death Scythe, Azusa is one of the most powerful Demon Weapons within the series. Her level of ability as a Gun-Type Weapon has garnered praise from fellow Gun-Type Weapon, Liz Thompson, who claimed that no other Gun-Type Weapon is as good, and that Azusa is the "bee's knees" for other Gun-Type Weapons.
- Bowgun-Type Rifle (ボウガン型のライフル, Bougan-Gata no Raifuru): Azusa's known weapon form is a weapon in which resembles a cross between that of a sniper rifle and a crossbow. Azusa has the ability to compress her Meister's wavelengths into powerful, sniper-like shots which range in power dependent on her meister.
- Pinpoint Shooting (高精度射撃, Kō Seido Satsuei): Azusa's acclaimed setting on her weapon form allows for her meister to shoot with pinpoint accuracy, stating that she can shoot up to 6 miles (or about 10km) with a less-than an inch margin of error. This is a skill she developed on her own, garnering Sid's praise from it. However, her pinpoint has also been seen even farther, having managed to have landed two shots on Asura from the surface of Earth towards the moon.
Enhanced Speed: While in use of her Thousand-Mile Eyes, Azusa can move at incredible rates of speed to draw out diagrams of the Arachnophobia Facility as well copy the words displayed on a piece of paper in Witch Text from Kilik Rung's sight in mere seconds.
Intelligence and Tracking: Azusa possess excellent proficiency in obtaining intelligence and tracking down a given person or objective for the DWMA. Her skills have allowed her to find bases of Arachnophobia around the world.
List of techniquesEdit
- Telesynchronization (遠距離共鳴, Enkyori Kyōmei): A unique ability of Azusa in which allows her to establish a long distance soul resonance by communication of her soul and another through a mutual connection such as a telephone or a wireless radio.
- Thousand-Mile Eyes (千里眼, Senrigan): Combined with her telesynchronization of a Meister as a synchronizing medium, she can activate this technique. According to her own statements, this allows her to have a viewing radius of about 50 meters of herself or meisters. Within her viewing radius, she can determine and retain information about a location's infrastructure in precise measurements and retain the information at an inhuman rate as well as read and analyze the souls of individuals similar to that of Soul Perception. Azusa has also shown the ability to link other Meisters such as Kim Diehl to her field of vision in order for her to interpret and translate the text in Witch Text.
During her days as a student within the academy, Azusa was known as the "King of the Tattletales" and often got involved whenever Spirit would attempt to woo in other girls his age or tattled on Stein whenever he would go out and take apart a random innocent passerby or animals, disproving of both of their actions back then. She would eventually later became a Death Scythe and be stationed in East Asia.
As Shaula Gorgon wrecked havoc on Death City and entered an altercation with members of the DWMA Intelligence Agency and a Meister/Weapon Trio (Tsugumi, Meme, Anya), Azusa was one of the 8 Death Scythe who showed up along with Death and Death the Kid to deal with the Witch's attack on the city and watched as she was killed by the NOT students.
Having been summoned by Death to Death City after the Kishin's revival, Azusa arrives in the city along with colleague and friend, Marie Mjolnir. Having a conversation with Marie on priorities, relationships, and marriage, she deduces Marie's problem with relationships is linked to the fact she tries to hard, only to be punched by an upset Marie. When Marie contemplates marrying the toilet, she then talks her out of it and witnesses Marie destroy the toilet, not surprised of her display of strength.
Having spotted her former classmate Spirit and Stein, they all greet each other and reminiscent on her bratty behavior in the past. Azusa also then claims that the Kishin's resurrection was both of their fault. Cutting conversation short, she orders them to line up to visit Death, with all her former classmates doing so much to their chagrin.
Arriving with all of the Death Scythes, she joins in the meeting as they devise a strategy to counter the Kishin's Madness Wavelength, with all the Death Scythe asking Stein of the effects of the Kishin's Madness Wavelength, with Azusa deducing that the Madness Wavelength may awaken the evil or boost the hold to individuals, impressing Stein. She then instigates Death to take action on Spirit and Stein, feeling as the situation is their fault. Death then reshuffles responsibilities, resulting in Azusa being tasked with finding the Kishin as well as taking Marie's responsibilities in Oceania. After the reshuffling, Death then dismisses most of the Death Scythes barring Spirit.
During her search for the Kishin, she finds one of Arachnophobia's research facilities and passes the intelligence to DWMA and Sid Barrett. Later, she accompanies Sid and Mira Naigus as she directs them onto their mission. Remarking his speed, she uses her Thousand-Mile Eyes to update her map, earning a remark from Mira on the impressiveness of her Death Scythe abilities. Azusa also warns the infiltration duo on the souls of a witch, an old monster, and "something else". When the alarms in the research facility goes off, she investigates with her Thousand-Mile Eyes and finds an unknown DWMA student having triggered it. Shortly after, Azusa would update Sid on the situation and inform him that the student is fighting Mifune although also comments on their difference in level of power.
After Sid and Mira leaves the facilities to bomb it, he later uses Azusa to save Black☆Star and Tsubaki by shooting both Mosquito and Mifune while at the same time destroying the facility. Azusa comments on her capabilities, though is more concern for the opponent who had moved into a blindspot, stating he's no ordinary man.
As part of Joe Buttataki's role in locating a suspected traitor within the DWMA, after the mysterious circumstances that led to the previous operations failure, Azusa is interviewed by him regarding this issue. During this process, Azusa provides highly accurate information pertaining to her mission in searching for Asura and Justin Law's involvement. The questioning progress goes well and relatively quickly; that is until she mentions Marie and the support she is currently providing for Stein, which immediately results in Joe losing his composure, bringing a sudden end to the interview.
Azusa later reports to Death, informing him that Arachnophobia are still on the offensive and have dealt massive blows to both the East Asia and African branches of the DWMA and used the threat of "BREW" against them for the fifth time. She also warns him of the dangers of Arachnophobia expanding their scope of activities, the situation getting worse as they delay, and the time it'll take before they're start making impossible demands towards the DWMA. Her call is interrupted by Sid and she listens in as they confirm the list of the three witches sent to Death City was accurate and the informant be detain as they're none other then Medusa Gorgon.
Standing at sunrise with DWMA soldiers, Sid Barrett, and Mira Naigus, Azusa then uses her Telesynconization and her Thousand-Mile Eyes and resonates with Ox Ford, engaging in a telepathic conversation and finds out that the infiltration of Baba Yaga Castle was a success and they're currently being led by Medusa. She concludes their discussion and informs Ox to contract her If anything goes wrong, informing Sid of their situation. She is also present as a Meister and Weapon arrives. She later informs Sid that the DWMA forces have started with the destruction of the Locks.
- Azusa's first name, Azusa (梓), is the Japanese word for a plant that is used to make bows. Her last name, Yumi (弓), instead means bow (as in 'bow and arrow'). As such, her name is a play on the Azusayumi ("birchwood bow"), referring to ancient Japanese bows made from Japanese cherry birch. The term has since become a stock phrase in poetry referring to images of pulling and twanging.
- Although unconfirmed at the moment. Ohkubo revealed the age of Azusa at a signing, which is 25.
- Liz has said that Azusa is an idol for gun types like her and her sister.