|“||You were the first to treat me like a person. I don't care about the rest of the world. To be honest, I don't even understand what "crime" I must answer for. I just want to fight for your sake, Maka.||”|
—Crona to Maka, Chapter 112
Crona (クロナ, Kurona), often infamously referred to as the Demon Sword (魔剣, Maken), is a demon sword master whom is the biological child of the witch, Medusa Gorgon. The meister partner to actual demon sword, Ragnarok, they're driven by their mother's aim into turning them into a Kishin.
- 1 Personality
- 2 Appearance
- 3 Special Abilities
- 4 List of techniques
- 5 Equipment
- 6 History
- 7 Synopsis
- 7.1 Demon Sword Arc
- 7.2 Uncanny Sword Arc
- 7.3 Black Dragon Arc
- 7.4 A Fight to the Death at the Anniversary Celebration Arc
- 7.5 Trial Enrollment Arc
- 7.6 The Bodyguard Arc
- 7.7 The Reunion Express Arc
- 7.8 Internal Investigation Arc
- 7.9 Deal Arc
- 7.10 Operation Capture Baba Yaga Castle Arc
- 7.11 Grigori Arc
- 7.12 The Witch's Research Arc
- 7.13 Mad Blood Arc
- 7.14 Hunt Arc
- 7.15 War on the Moon Arc
- 7.16 Dark Side of the Moon Arc
- 8 Trivia
- 9 References
- 10 Site Navigation
Described by Franken Stein and his Soul Perception to have an "introverted" personality, Crona is pessimistic and doesn't hold a high opinion of themselves. Due to being raised by Medusa Gorgon, they are extremely negative as well as nervous and submissive most of the time, playing a part of their bullying from Ragnarok. Possessing a great amount of shyness, Crona cites they're unable to "deal" with many things, whether it pertains to a situation, an action, or a specific individual. This causes them to complete shut themselves down from their surroundings.
Perhaps what makes Crona a dangerous enemy is their unbalance state of mind and inclination to insanity (Madness mindset). This unbalanced state of mind originates from not only the influence of the Black Blood's Madness, but namely the abuse they suffered from the likes of both Ragnarok and Medusa as she drilled and tortured them into learning the ability to kill. Because of this, Crona is subjected to showing signs of insanity and aggression, spouting senseless comments and laughing at random moments This level of abuse has caused them to gain a warped objective of attempting to become an Kishin in an attempt to be able to "deal" with any given subject as well as fulfill Medusa's goal and gain not only her acceptance and love but to avoid being abandoned by their parent. Of their own admittance, Crona doesn't understand the concept of morality.
After meeting Maka and their enrollment into the DWMA, Crona stated showing more positive traits and was capable of feeling the need to protect Maka, who was previously their enemy. Their placement within Death City and DWMA caused Crona to become relaxed and happy in demeanor. Much of this development was lost due to some sort of amnesia when Medusa re-integrated their Madness mindset after capturing them back into her ranks. However, Crona gained much of themselves after Medusa's passing and capture by Asura, reflecting on their actions and finding it unforgivable. In a final heroic turn, Crona even opted to seal themselves with the Asura with the usage of the Black Blood and "BREW" for the sake of Maka as well as the entire world. In the anime, their re-integration of their Madness mindset doesn't take place as Crona developed enough confidence within themselves to come to terms of Medusa's incapability to unconditionally love, recognize her cruelty and rebuke it, and even integrate themselves into DWMA's school culture.
Crona themselves possess some quirks. Their negativity has enough "destructive power" to write a poem able to evoke others to regretting their existence, even those as obnoxious as Black☆Star or the undead like Sid. Crona also has the tendency to redundantly remind others of having Black Blood in battle. Due to their shy and nervous personality, Crona has a knack for naming parts of rooms such as "Roomsky Kornerkov" (Mr. Corner in the anime) as well as having shuffling footsteps in general.
Physically, Crona possess an androgynous appearance with a thin body, pink hair, lavender eyes, and tall stature. Their hair is quite short with several long, large clumps, bangs straight-cut and end above the eyebrows, but do not stay very uniform. Two long pieces of hair extend from the bangs and hang low over Crona's face
Crona's attire consists of a long black old-style robe that is tight-fitting and ends at the mid-calf level on their legs. The robe is completed with large white cuff-links at the ends of each sleeve and a tall white button-up collar at the neck. Black slipper-like shoes with a tall white cuff protruding out of the top are also worn.For formal occasions, Crona wears a white suit: the suit is very plain, with long pants, a coat with long sleeves and a collar. The coat appears to fasten at the front and back.
Crona's soul in hitomi form appears as a normal, lighly colored soul. When expanding, the soul appears in a darker tone.
As a child, Crona wore a black knee-high dress. The dress has a rugged cut-out at the bottom, laced with several white diamonds. Like the present-day clothing, the childhood design also has a white collar and cuffs. The shoes stay relatively the same, as well. Crona's hair is shorter and simpler in this stage, but overall the same design. Also, Crona possessed large pupils.
Black Blood (黒血, Kokketsu): A special blood type developed by Medusa that gives Crona unique abilities such as unique bonding between them and Ragnarok which allows them to gain power after Ragnarok eats souls and manipulation of their own blood by liquifying or hardening.
- Ragnarok (ラグナロク, Ragunaroku): Due to their bond after being melted in a pot of Black Blood and and the mixture poured into Crona's bloodstream, Ragnarok and Crona share a powerful bond of Meister and Demon Weapon.  Maka remarked that it's because of Ragnarok's support over their muscle system along with their movements is that Crona can perform extraordinary, strength-related feats such as blocking the Witch-Hunt with a single arm. He also regulates Crona's blood and hardens it to prevent it from damaging Crona. This capability is powerful enough to block out attacks from the Demon Scythe.
- Transformation (変身, Henshin): Using the Black Blood's manipulation abilities, Ragnarok can morph the Black Blood into transformations.
- Madness of the Black Blood (黒血の発狂, Kurodji no Hakkyō):According to the Little Ogre, this Madness allows Crona to be unable to feel fear and "deny" both their own soul and opponent's soul. This gives birth to a more erratic nature and fighting style.
Ultimate Weapon Meister Type (究極武器と職人の形, Kyūkyoku buki to shokunin no katachi): Due to Crona and Ragnarok's fusion together, they're considered an advanced form of meister and weapon. One of the advantages of this type of union is Ragnarok's large range of attacks for Crona to choose from.
Kenjutsu (剣術, Kenjutsu): Crona is an extremely adept swordsman, having been able easily and swiftly kill the entire Materazzi gang and battle the likes of Maka Albarn with the Demon Scythe Soul Eater on more then one occasion, proving to be the superior opponent in one instance. Crona's style is characterized by an erratic and crazed style in which overwhelms opponents due to their inability to block an attack with normal demon weapons while using screech resonance. Crona's skill later improved and after absorbing Asura, they were skillfully capable of hold their own with Black☆Star and Maka Albarn simultaneously.
- Three-Sword Style: As revealed by Black☆Star's observation, Crona can use the Three-Sword Style, making use of the additional two pair of arms in battle.
- Fusion with Ragnaork and Black Clown
Fusing with the Black Clown with the madness fusion technique, much of Crona's black blood-related abilities expand exponentially, becoming more refined and powerful. The power of their own madness wavelength also increased, with Maka Albarn describing the Black Spheres made up of Black Blood from Crona "intense" and was easily able to render members of the DWMA's Eastern European Branch insane.
Thorn (ソーン, Sōn): A special ability developed presumably from Black Blood manipulations in which allow for Crona to utilize these "thorns" in a manner similar to Medusa's Vector Arrow spells from her Snake Magic for both offensive and defensive purposes. These Thorns also carries a special kind of poison in which spreads from their emotions, causing those struck by it to be unable to sync their Soul Wavelength with their respective Demon Weapon (unless a Bond is involved).
Black Blood Armor (黒血の鎧, Kurodji no yoroi): From the fusion with the Black Clown, Crona has the additional ability of using their own form of Black Blood armor to increase their level of defense. This armor is capable of defense against the likes of Tsar Pushka's own attacks, even when assisted by the likes of an Anti-Demon Wavelength.
- Fusion with Asura
Using the Black Blood's abilities, Crona was capable of absorbing Asura into their body, tremendously increasing the intensity of their own power and prowess thanks to the power the Kishin possesses. The increase in power made Crona confident in destroying the world.
Enhanced Soul Wavelength: When Ragnarok uses Crona's own Wavelength to send forth a powerful scream, the scream in question was intense enough for Franken Stein to remark on it's power. In addition, the wavelength was powerful enough to literally crush those with a weaker Soul Wavelength.
- Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): In this state, Crona not only possess their own form of Madness (Black Blood's Madness) but also Asura's Madness Wavelength.
Enhanced Screech α: In this fusion, Crona is capable of performing a much more powerful version of their original Screech α. Using the three blades instead of one and dragging it across the ground, they send a monstrous face in which is much larger then their previously displayed Screech Alpha.
Enhanced Durability: In this fusion, Crona was easily able to withstand attacks from both blunt attacks from Maka Albarn and her usage of the Demon Scythe as well as Black☆Star's physical attacks.
Much of Crona's special powers and abilities is dependent on their Black Blood, in which is vulnerable to Wavelength Control related attacks such as that of Soul Menace. The usage of such technique can not only penetrate through the Black Bloods defense for internal damage . Those granted with immense, physical strength (such as Giriko) have also proven proficient enough to have cracked and broken through Crona's Black Blood.
Attacks originating from an Anti-Demon Wavelength is also considerable against Crona's Black Blood, attacks from this special Wavelength causing burning-like sensations from the Black Blood as well as some evaporation. However, Crona's own strength would later eliminate this weakness, their Black Blood proving powerful enough to withstand such attacks.
Due to the power of Madness Fusion, Crona can use the Black Blood to absorb individuals. Should their will prove more powerful, however, Crona can lose being the dominant fusee and be promptly replaced. This proved true when after absorbing Asura, he easily dominated their fusion and instead had him absorbed into him.
List of techniques
- with Ragnarok
- Real Black Dragon (真の黒龍, Shin no Kokuryū): A special transformation of Rangarok's own with the Black Blood after absorbing the souls on the Ghost Ship Nidhogg (in which was called the Black Dragon). Seemingly modelling from the experience, Ragnarok transformed into a vaguely, dragon-like creature. For Crona, this allows them to have wings for flight.
- Wavelength Control techniques
- Scream Resonance (悲鳴共鳴, Himei Kyōmei): A special type of Soul Resonance in which utilizes a high-pitched scream during the resonance process emitted from Ragnarok's moth. This sound wave makes Ragnarok vibrate like an electric saw, increasing his cutting power, and can also radiate through the air causing internal damage to an opponent even weapons within their Demon Weapon form. Only a powerful Death Scythe like Spirit Albarn can face the Screech Resonance without any pain.
- Black Sword techniques
- Screech α (スクリーチ「α, Sukurīchi "Arufa"; also "Screech Alpha"): A technique that throws a disfigured, face-like projectile. Capable of being performed both in on the ground and in the air, this technique is powerful enough to split Ghost Ship Nidhogg in half.
- Screech β (スクリーチ「β, Sukurīchi "Bēta"; also "Screech Beta"): Similar to that of Screech Alpha, this attack in stead is performed in either a upward or downward slash, in which creates the same disfigure face-like figure in an attempt to critically injure an opponent.
- Screech γ (スクリーチ「γ, Sukurīchi "Ganma"; also "Screech Gamma"): A technique that changes the form of Ragnarok's sword into resembling the disfigured, face-like figure with a mouth and a purple aura. Working somewhat similar to that of Witch-Hunt, the technique enhances the attacks from the weapon as well as being sufficiently capable enough to block the Witch-Hunt. The mouth on it can grip an opponent's weapon.
- Screech δ (スクリーチ「δ」, Sukurīchi δ; also "Screech Delta"): A powerful technique performed by Crona with the Darkness blade on hand and the Abyss of Despair & Uncleanliness held by Ragnarok, taking advantage of their new Three-Sword fighting style. Similar to Screech α in usage, Crona sends the Screech-related technique's "mouth" in three, different directions in a single swipe. This technique was capable of stopping the likes of Shadow☆Star Third Form: "Severed Shadow"'s after-images in one execution.
- Madness related techniques
- Black Blood techniques
- Bloody Needle (ブラッディー・ニードル, Buraddī Nīdoru): A technique in which Crona can use spilt blood and turn them into needles, usually to surprising the opponents and skewer them.
- Bloody Slicer (ブラッディスライサー, Buraddi Suraisā): A curved projectile create after slitting their own wrist and throwing the blood and hardening it into a curved weapon.
- Bloody Lance (ブラッディランス, Buraddi Ransu): Utilizing a considerable quantity of the black blood granted after previously conducting a Madness Fusion with the Black Clown, Crona fabricates a substantial and hollow cone that tapers into a single sharpened point, which is subsequently launched towards an adversary with tremendous velocity.
- Bloody Coat (ブラッディコート, Buraddi Koto):Utilizing one of the wing-like projections composed entirely from a significant quantity of Black Blood, which is only made possibly after previously conducting a Madness Fusion with the The Black Clown, Crona wraps one of their wings around their body to form a rather thin physical barrier between themselves and an adversary's attack. It is powerful enough to have survived an enormous collision with the attack of the Death Scythe Tsar Pushka, seemingly without suffering any visible damage.
- Mad Blood (狂血, Kyōketsu): A extremely powerful technique executed only during Madness Fusion with the Black Clown. Crona unleashes an great tidal wave of Black Blood that engulfs and encapsulates any opposition within the darkened depths of a gigantic globe. Once consumed by the torrent of Black Blood, the opponent is assaulted by "shadows" made from Black Blood, which enters their bodies and causes their entire physical body structure to melt into Black Blood. Once they have melted, the Black Blood hardens into a large sphere. The extent of this technique can cover an entire town like the Ukraine and "killed" the likes of Tsar Pushka and Feodor, with the Black Globes created from Mad Blood being impenetrable.
- Thorn techniques
- Rose Thorns Storm (ローズソーンズストーム, Rōzu Sōnzu Sutōmu): A technique manifest a large number of vine-like tentacles from their body. The tentacles then rise towards the sky, forming what appear to be black rose blossoms at their ends. The force with which Crona raises their tentacles in the air creates a powerful shockwave before finally landing on their opponents with incredible force, crushing them on the ground or blowing them away with the fierce wind. This technique carries the poison in which causes a disruption in a Meister/Weapon's resonance sync.
- Thorn Defense (ソーンディフェンス, Sōn Difensu): A defensive technique in which thorns line up similar to that of a fence to defend Crona from powerful attacks, although Maka and Spirit's Witch-Hunt and Demon-Hunt succession attacks was capable of downing the defensive technique.
"BREW" (BREW, Buryū): After witnessing the usage of "BREW" by Noah (Wrath), Crona came to understand the true power of "BREW" in creating powerful combinations. Using "BREW", Crona was able to combined the power of the Black Blood and "BREW" to further increase their power.
- Enhanced Mad Blood: Crona's Mad Blood technique became far more powerful, "BREW" enabling them to have the power to surround it around the Moon itself and suppress Asura and his Madness as well as the power of the Great Old One of Power lurking with the Book of Eibon.
- Kishin (鬼神, Kishin): The usage of "BREW" resulted in Crona's wavelength amplified in power to become a Kishin, evident in when they gained a third eye in the center of their forehead much like that of Asura.
- Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): In becoming a Kishin thanks to "BREW", Crona gains a unique type of Madness Wavelength capable of spreading all over the world.
- Madness of Boobs (おっぱいの狂気, Oppai no kyōki): This strange Madness was born from Crona becoming a Kishin using "BREW". Because Crona's yearning for breasts (metaphorically as a symbol of motherhood rather then perverseness) from the lack of Medusa's love, this Madness was created onto the world. It's effects includes making both men and women alike (even as powerful as Death the Kid after connecting the third Lines of Sanzu) have a sudden fixation and preference for breasts.
- Partnered with Ragnarok
- Black Sword (暗黒剤, Ankoku Ken): Ragnarok's weapon transformation allows him to take the form of a long, large, black Scandinavian broadsword with a grey hilt, a white stripe down the middle and spikes around the guard which resemble those on Ragnarok's ordinary body. Such a transformation is powerful enough to easily cut through human flesh as well as have special techniques.
- Abyss of Despair & Uncleanliness: A new transformation, Crona is granted two long blades originating with a similar color scheme to Ragnarok's own dubbed "The Abyss of Despair" and "The Uncleanliness". These can be controlled by either Ragnarok himself while Crona wields the Darkness or Crona themselves. The swords are capable of easily cutting into witch flesh.
- Partnered with Black Clown
- Darkness: With the Black Clown, Crona has access to it's weapon form, a type of short sword with a black and white color scheme that looks similar to that of Ragnarok's own as well as a guard. Part of the blade has the Black Clown's mouth at the lower end of it.
On one of Maka and Soul's missions in Italy, Maka senses peculiar soul wavelengths coming from the Santa Maria Novella Basilica. Upon entering, the two discover Crona and their weapon, Ragnarok. The two meisters quickly engage in battle. However, the demon sword proves to be more than a match for Maka and Soul, and eventually gives Soul a serious wound: at this point, some of Ragnorok's Black Blood enters Soul's bloodstream. Crona is about to kill Soul and Maka by dealing the final fatal blow before Spirit and Stein intervene. The second pair is on a completely different level than the previous Scythe meister, and Crona almost dies before Medusa reveals her own presence and retrieves her combatant.
Later, Crona and Ragnarok appeared alongside Medusa at the Witch mass.
Crona next comes into conflict with the DWMA aboard the Nidhogg against Death the Kid. The shinigami is investigating the ghost ship, when Crona suddenly appears on board and absorbs all the ghost souls on the ship. Death the Kid and the demon sword begin to battle, and although Kid is able to suddenly get many shots in with his pistols, his attacks have no harmful affect on Crona thanks to their Black Blood. After Crona splits the ship in half with their Screech Alpha attack, they escape the wrecked Nidhogg by flying with Ragnorok's wings as Death the Kid pursues the two. However, his obsession with symmetry ultimately stops him from catching Crona, as he notices how the clouds and sun in the sky are perfectly symmetrical. It is noted that, though Ragnorok has absorbed many innocent souls, there seems to be no sign of transformation into a Kishin.
Crona appeared with the Mizune family ordered by Medusa.
In Medusa's plan to revive the original Kishin under the DWMA, Crona is set as a guard for a portion of the hallway leading to the Demon God. Although it was originally Black☆Star's job to defeat Crona, Maka decides to engage in battle instead, as revenge for Soul's injury caused by Crona in Italy.
Once again, it appears that the demon sword has the upper hand. The two fight for a while before Maka appears completely defeated. As Crona prepares to finish her off, Maka and Soul are suddenly thrust into madness, and the Black Blood in Soul's body is put into effect, giving Maka its full abilities. Since both parties now have invincible bodies, the battle stabilizes. Meanwhile, Maka's soul sees into Crona's, where she experiences the despair and isolation of Crona's world and finally comes to understand the strange meister. Tearing out of madness, Maka suddenly stops the battle and hugs Crona, asking to become friends.
Crona surrenders to the DWMA and remains inside the dungeon. Later, Death decided to enroll them in the Academy as a trial student.
Crona, Maka and the others were on a tour for the School and later went with Maka and Soul on a mission in the Czech Republic to look for the Oldest Golem in Leow Village that's gone on a rampage. When they couldn't get any information from the people in the village, the Enchanter, Giriko (who called himself Sou/Saw at the time) shows up and proceeds to show the group where the Oldest Golem was.
After the Oldest Golem makes its appearance and Maka discovers that it has a soul wavelength, Giriko finally tells the group his true name, along with his true intentions, as he transforms into his weapon form and lets the golem wield him as it begins attacking the group. After Maka promises Ragnarok that she'll give him a fifteen pieces of candy if he helped, Ragnarok finally helps out, allowing Crona to use Screech Alpha and causing the golem to lose its balance long enough for Maka to land a blow. When Maka becomes paralyzed due to the mysterious webs coming out of the wound, Crona jumps in to protect her when Giriko tries to kill her, only to have the both of them slammed into some brick trees. When every spider in the world begins to show up and forms around the golem, Crona steps in front of Maka and states that they will protect her; an act that both surprises and amazes Maka ,until Crona begins to shiver in fear when they find out that the soul wavelength inside the golem belong to Arachne, Medusa's sister and Crona's aunt. Despite their fear, Crona manages to muster up enough courage to try attacking Arachne, thanks to Ragnarok's 'cheering', but Arachne blocked it with her fan, and counter-attacked by quickly slapping Crona with her fan, putting them in a daze. After telling her the Enchanter to Get rid of the brat., Giriko immediately kicks Crona with enough force to send them flying. But after recovering from it, Crona and the others are shocked to find out that the kick had actually cut them as Giriko brags about his Saw Leg and how that its second gear should be more than enough to deal with them, to which Ragnarok retaliates saying that he could just immediately harden the blood after he cuts them. Unfortunately, Giriko quickly gains the upper hand as he came close to decapitating Crona until Death Scythe Justin Law arrived and defeated the Oldest Golem by using his Law Abiding Silver Gun. After the battle, Crona, along with the others, pretends not to hear Maka when she asks why she has to lay in a coffin. Then they begin to put flowers in the coffin, making her think about how Sid must have felt when he was dead.
Crona was among the others with Maka at the School's medic room.
Crona was enjoying their life at the DWMA with Maka and her friends, until Medusa forces Crona back into being a spy. When Medusa returns, she sends Eruka to be a messenger and makes Crona act as a spy but still they consider Maka a friend. Crona is later told by Medusa to bug Marie with one of her snakes. This snake will allow Medusa to hear everything going on around Marie, which is intended to keep on eye on Stein, and also speed up the process of him succumbing to his madness.
On another night, Eruka tells Crona, who is now feeling guilty about what was done, that Maka overheard the conversation they had previously. Crona then disappears from the DWMA.
Crona and Eruka were having a conversation with Medusa about their plans.
Crona was instructed to leave DWMA but had doubts about it due to their bond with Maka and the others.
After Maka eventually defeats Arachne, bringing a close to the operation, Medusa takes over her body. It is then revealed that she was merely using the DWMA to accomplish her means and that Crona had never been captured. Medusa then tells an enraged Maka that she will never hand over Crona, after which the scene suddenly shifts to a mysterious location, demonstrating Crona's current condition.
In the middle of the night and located within a mysterious building, Crona is revealed just as Medusa utters the words, "It's time Crona", which only serves to illicit numerous long screeches/screams.
During Medusa's observation of the test of The Man-made Clown's capabilities, in its battle against Kilik Rung and Kim Diehl, she decides to initiate another experiment. Crona, who had patiently been waiting behind Medusa until this point, is ordered to go and make preparations, which Crona obediently follows.
Later, whilst searching for Medusa's concealed location with Tsubaki, Black☆Star's senses alert him to the approaching sound of unstable footsteps, which are instantly recognizable as belonging to Crona. Confronting Crona's shadowy form reveals the emergence of wing-like structures from their shoulders and most notably a prominent third arm, which seemingly belongs to Ragnarok. After a remark from Black☆Star, Ragnarok's weapon form suddenly appears from and is clutched by the recent third arm, signalling the start of the real experiment.
The Man-made Clown appears and fuses with Crona, creating three Demon Swords wielded by Crona and Ragnarok. Black☆Star retorts that he too wields three swords - the other two being his hand and "ultimate man weapon". Black☆Star questions if Crona has that weapon as well (another reference to Crona's often questioned sex) and Ragnarok attempts to clarify by pulling up Crona's robe. After this, the battle finally begins. Black☆Star repeatedly asks Crona why they chose to leave the DWMA and betray Maka, but Crona replies that they don't even know who Maka is and begins to have an inner conflict regarding their motives for leaving the DWMA. During the battle, Crona is outmatched easily by Black☆Star, who even manages to damage the Black Blood with his punches alone. Medusa, who is observing the battle from afar, comments that she never expected Crona to defeat Black☆Star - but she at least expected them to last longer. Justin Law appears with the Clown and confronts Medusa, at which point she orders Mizune and Eruka to retrieve Crona and retreat.
Thanks to the continued efforts of both Eruka and Mizune, Crona eventually manages to escape from the rampant Black☆Star, landing in a distant location with thoughts questioning over the existence of Maka still running through their head.
Crona and Ragnarok aren't seen until after the DWMA rescues Kid and is in Moscow on a new mission: To make the black blood even stronger by defeating a Death Scythe. The two soon come across the Magic Cannonball and Russian Death Scythe, Tsar Pushka, along with his meister, Feodor. Crona immediately goes into their Madness Fusion form to start the experiment. Starting the fight with Bloody Needle, Tsar stands his ground while Feodor runs straight towards Crona as he dashes through the Bloody Needle with ease before attacking Crona with his Command Crossack. After Crona recovers, Tsar attacks by launching his head (while it's in his partial weapon form) at them, but Crona protects themselves by using Bloody Coat. After Crona cuts their left wrist, Tsar is surprised that the black blood is beginning to emanate the same wavelength as the Kishin
Feodor and Tsar begins their assault with Feodor using his Command Crossack again to knock Crona to the ground. Ragnarok states that even though Feodor's attacks are light, his martial art skills are on the same level as Black Star. Before Crona can even stand back up, Tsar uses On Your Mark...Ypa!! to send Crona flying straight into a wall and both they and Ragnarok are shocked to find out that Tsar possess a Anti-Demon Wavelength just like Maka, which is also the reason why Medusa wanted Crona to start the experiment with him first. Meanwhile in Death City, Maka notices Soul clutching his chest in pain while Soul is puzzled as to why the wound he got from Crona back from their first fight is aching all of a sudden. Back in Moscow, Crona resumes attacking by using their Bloody Lance,but Feodor uses Tsar (in his complete weapon form) to stop the attack completely and quickly dodges the Bloody Needle, but ultimately fails since the Bloody Needles now have the ability to change direction. In a final attempt to take down Crona, Feodor and Tsar uses Anti-Demon Wavelength - Full Power, but Crona mocks them by saying that a light like that would never hit a pitch black person like them before they suddenly remember a memory of Maka smiling. After saying that a black demon like them can only taint things jet-black, Crona initiates the next stage of the black blood: Mad Blood. With a disturbing smile, they state that their blood is black one last time, indicating that Crona has emerged as the winner of the fight.
Crona is back from their mission, confused between epiphanies of their past, gets more confused when Medusa serves them dinner, remembering their periods of starvation as punishments Medusa inflicted upon them, but their confusion drives them mad when Medusa hugs them, motherly claiming pride for her child. Crona claims she is not their mother and stabs her, remembering another way to kill: stabbing repeatedly until death, they then drive the final blow with an insane smile on their face. Medusa's last words claimed that, although Crona threw away the only thing to support themselves on, the black blood is complete.
rona is revealed to be hiding out in the place where they and Maka first met each other, the Santa Maria Novella Basilica church. Mumbling to themselves, Crona inadvertently reveals that they have been there for days. When Maka arrives at the church, they ask who she is. However, this was due to straightening out their memories. Crona said that they had waited for her so that they could say goodbye, because they has no one left. Maka disagreed, urging Crona to return to their friends and teachers at the DWMA and to stop pursuing Asura. Crona replied that they could not return to the DWMA come back because they had just killed their mother, Medusa, the one person they had left. Crona is afraid of doing the same to Maka and the others.
As Maka struggles to convince her friend to stop this path to becoming a Kishin, Crona walks past her to break open the church's doors. Taking flight to evade Black☆Star, Crona goes to the Moon to fulfill their mother's dying wish: devour Asura and become a more powerful Kishin.
Crona lands on the moon and states that they will dye the moon black with their blood before flying into the moon's nose to find and devour Asura. Soon after Noah (Wrath) manages to capture Asura by using Brew to fuse with one of his ants, Crona suddenly appears behind Noah, possibly without him knowing, and prepares to use the Mad Blood to consume Asura.
After dissolving both Noah (Wrath) and Asura in twister of Mad Blood, Crona then absorbs only Asura and they say that they don't need Noah (Wrath) and Ragnarok immediately spits him back up. Now that Crona is becoming a Kishin, they plan to destroy the world with madness just like Medusa wanted them to.
Shortly after Maka notices that the Kishin’s wavelength has suddenly been suppressed and picks up on Crona's wavelength, they appear coming out of the moon's mouth. She calls out to them, but they don't say a word to her as Ragnarok sends out a scream so powerful, that it actually distorts the moon's eyes to look similar to Ragnarok's while trying to send everyone that's on the moon into madness. After Free accidentally takes Kid and Stein away from the moon as he teleports everyone else back to Earth with his magic, leaving Maka, Black☆Star and Spirit on the moon, Crona finally talks to her; telling her that they can't go back anymore since their madness has grown so much that it's able to successfully resonate with the Kishin and that their black blood can't be stopped. Black☆Star is reluctant to attack Crona since they still consider them a friend, but Maka knows that not doing anything means that nothing will change. So with Black☆Star, Tsubaki and Soul helping her while her Dad promises not to interfere, Maka bravely states to Crona that she will strike them until the Crona they knew from the academy until Medusa took them away comes back. Crona doesn't say a word; they just give a faint smile at this, signalling the start of what could possibly be the last fight between them.
The fight begins as Crona immediately uses their Madness Fusion just before they block Maka's first strike after she races up to the Moon's mouth. After Crona's strike misses Maka, they get kicked in the face repeatedly by her until they get knocked to the ground. Crona then tries to stab Maka with The Uncleanliness, but misses again, telling her that she's the idiot since she knows that it's dangerous to come close to them with just a scythe. After making Maka vault over them by attacking her with The Abyss of Despair, Crona asks her if she can dodge their third blade, The Darkness, this time. It quickly gets blocked by Black☆Star, who then kicks them a safe distance away from them. After they recover, Crona tells Maka that they would have got her if she was alone. Maka tells Crona that the reason she's not alone is because she's weak, and tells them that they're not alone either. But Crona just replies by saying that they no longer need anyone, and yells to Maka that they're not weak like her as they launch a powered-up Screech Alpha at them. Black☆Star stops the attack easily, but is a bit surprised when Crona manages to push him back a bit with just brute force. Maka then trips Crona and strikes them in the torso area, but they quickly recover from it and knock Maka to the edge of a cliff, and uses Bloody Lance to try and finish her before she can climb back until Black☆Star caught it with Shadow☆Star: First Form - Chain of Blackness and pulls it towards him in order to throw it right back at Crona, who manages to divert its part by blocking.
Crona then sprouts two thorn-covered vines from their shoulders and uses then to pull on one of the moon's teeth, causing it to fall on top of Maka and Black☆Star, but that fails since Black☆Star catches it before it could crush them and toss the two both off the moon. After that, Crona uses an attack similar to Medusa's Vector Arrow to attack them, and though they only got a scratch each after blocking most of the attacks, Crona seems delighted as they use Rose Thorn Storm to get some distance between them. Soon, it’s revealed why Crona was happy when Maka and Black☆Star only got a scratch from their previous attack: Any living target that Crona's thorns scratch have their soul distorted, which is what happens when Maka and Black☆Star suddenly undergo soul rejection with Soul and Tsubaki. Soul then tries to use his keyboard to cancel the madness of the Black Blood out, but he and Tsubaki suddenly get snatched by Crona, who looked as if they are falling even further into the Kishin’s madness, and is confused as to why his keyboard can't make a sound. Though Black☆Star can still fight without Tsubaki, Crona shouts that they are relived as they launch another assault at the two while Spirit is steadily climbing up to where they are fighting.
In part 3, Black☆Star begins to try to get Soul and Tsubaki back by first using Soul Force on Crona, who blocks it by using multiple thorns as a shield before counter-attacking by turning them into multiple thorn arrows. Crona then turns their attention to Maka, who dodges most of them before Black☆Star protected her from a few arrows she couldn't avoid. They then manage to flip Black☆Star over before hanging him in the air by his feet with two more vines before attempting to kill Maka with a pillar of thorn arrows before Spirit arrives just in time to save Maka by blocking the attack. When Spirit takes Soul's place as Maka's weapon, Crona unleashes another wave of thorn arrows, but Maka immediately stops the attack in its tracks before charging at them. Crona quickly uses Thorn Defense to stop Maka's assault while they constantly question them on how they are able to sync their soul wavelengths together. Soon, Crona's Thorn Defense is quickly destroyed when Maka uses Witch Hunter, then Demon Hunter afterwards in quick succession, allowing Soul and Tsubaki to escape from Crona's grasp and change back into their human forms. When Spirit tells Crona that the reason they are able to resonate together is because of their bonds as parent and child, Crona begins to cry as they go into a mental breakdown. Four scarf-like appendages suddenly sprout out of Crona's back and wrap them inside as it turns into a massive ball. When the ball cracks open, part of Asura's face is seen as the chapter ends.
Crona is seen deep within a sea of black blood as they wonder if they were just replaced as Asura regains control and absorbs them. While battling Asura, Maka asked Soul if he can hear Crona's rhythm, to which Soul responded that he can't hear it, even with her soul perception.
Right before Maka ends up being impaled through her chest by Asura, she felt Crona's presence due to Soul using the Black Blood to its full potential.
Crona is still inside the sea of black blood looking back on the things they've done to gain power to get rid of their fear, from leaving their friends behind to even killing Medusa and attempting to obtain the kishin's power just to prove their existence. Although thinking that there's nothing left for them but to just die, they know that there's a part of them that's still clinging to something in this life: To see Maka once more.
Soon after. Crona is surprised to see Maka and Soul floating towards them, but thinks it's just hallucination of Maka until she hits them with a Maka Chop, proving that she's real. After realizing that Maka is real, Crona comments on how Maka's obsession to actually come all the way to see them. Maka simply tells Crona it's not an obsession, but believing in them is the reason for coming to find them and that believing is the human's strength. When Maka tells Crona it's time for them to go back outside,Crona tells her that they can't return yet because they have committed many unforgivable sins and, while that they are happy that Maka came for them, there is something that only they can do with the courage they got from her. After obtaining the Book of Eibon from Maka, which was the same book she used earlier when she used Maka Chop on them, Crona takes Brew out of the book and explains their final plan to neatly seal Asura away with the Mad Blood. When Maka asks what would happen to them, Crona just replies that this their way of paying Maka back since she gave them their courage. After they give Maka a hug, they go on to tell Maka that she is the first person who dealt with them and that they don't really care about the world or the sin they need to atone for. They say that they are doing this simply for her and for them to suppress the kishin's madness, Maka has to make the kishin bleed. Once Soul summons a sheet of music with souls as notes to return to return to the outside with. Crona reluctantly adds their soul to the start of the song, thinking they doesn't deserve to be in it before Soul gives some gentle encouragement. Soul and Maka leave, but not before Maka yells back that she'll come back for Crona and tells them to wait for her. Smiling peacefully Crona simply tells her that they believe in her. Once Maka uses a Kishin-Hunt Slash to make Asura bleed, Crona activates Brew to power up the Mad Blood to its full potential and uses it to seal away Asura once again by surrounding the entire moon itself in a dome of Mad Blood, speaking the words "Let's meet again Maka", before the task is finished.
- Death Battle claimed several pieces of information unconfirmed by either anime or manga. Information include: their name being "Crona Gorgon" and their age being approximately 15. Thus far, Crona's surname and age remains unrevealed.
- Officially, Crona's sex is canonically considered "unknown" by Soul Eater creator Atsushi Ōkubo as of the series ending. In the original manga Japanese text, Crona is referred to in gender-neutral terms in which does not exist in the English language. Yen Press's translation, however, utilizes male pronouns for reasons unknown.
- Crona's English voice actor, Maxey Whitehead, has stated that her favorite role thus far in her career is Crona.
- The katakana for Crona's name is actually the last 3 katakana for Ragnarok's name in reverse.
|One-Star||Hero • Tom • Soul's admirer • Soul's proposer • CronaAnime|
|Two-Star||Black☆Star • Death the Kid • Kilik Rung • Maka Albarn • Ox Ford • Kim Diehl|
|Three-Star||Alexandre • Franken Stein • Sid Barett • Enrique • Zubaidah|
|One-Star||Tom's partner • RagnarokAnime|
|Two-Star||Elizabeth Thompson • Harvar D. Éclair • Patricia Thompson • Fire • Thunder • Soul "Eater" Evans • Tsubaki Nakatsukasa • Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupré|
|Three-Star||Mira Naigus • Spirit Albarn • Azusa Yumi • Tezca Tlipoca • Marie Mjolnir|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Death • Feodor|
|Graduated||Joe Buttataki • Auntie|
|Deceased (Three-Star)||Tsar Pushka|
|Defection (Three-Star)||Justin Law|
|Spies||Crona • Ragnarok • Eruka Frog • Free • Mizune Family|