A death god can have an appearance both that appears human and inhuman though they all have a regular face like that of a human. Perhaps the most known attribute of the Death God is the Lines Of Sanzu, which seem to be the source of their power. Depending on the age, a Death God may or may not have complete lines in the case of Death the Kid. In the case for Asura, however, the Sanzu Lines may also appear differently.
Though they reproduce through a process in which they fragments parts of themselves, they also possess groins.
A method in which a Death God can reproduce is to "fragment" themselves and create a being. The "parent" is able to either make them "complete" or "incomplete." It's also shown that the fragment carries some of the parent's traits, such as Death the Kid's inheriting of the Madness of Order and being born without fear due to Asura harboring Death's former fears within him.
While a fragment will have the Soul Wavelength of their parent within their soul, after two connections of the Lines of Sanzu, a Death God can forfeit their own parent's Soul Wavelength with their soul. When this is performed by Death the Kid, in order to power his own attack, he did so because he didn't want to "ride" on his "father's coattails".
Role and Significance
As true gods in the world, the role of a Death God is the maintaining of balance and equilibrium between good and evil. As such, they're often perceived to have surpassed human understanding as well as being the very symbol of order itself. In addition, Death Gods are also authorities over souls. Despite their purpose, however, they're mistakenly often thought of to preside over people's lives and death as well as being absolute authorities of order itself.
Types of Death Gods
There are several types of Death Gods:
- Immature: An "immature" Death God refers to a Death God who was born with incomplete Lines of Sanzu, which is something decided by the parent. Because of this, as a Death God grows, their control of the Lines of Sanzu and power expands dependent on age.
- Mature: A mature Death God refers to a Death God who is born with complete Lines of Sanzu. Not much is known about this beyond the fact that a mature Death God, unlike their immature counterparts, is born with all their Lines of Sanzu complete and have two indications surrounding their head. These Death Gods can co-exist with even a True Death God.
- True: A True Death God is an individual who possesses all three connected Lines of Sanzu, making them extremely powerful and allowing them to utilize the Madness of Order. True Death Gods can also create fragments to later be their successor, even having control over the "maturity" their fragment initially are. However, only one true Death God can exist at a time and when one becomes a true Death God, the other dies as a result. According to Excalibur, the reason behind the existence of one True Death God at a time is because it is unnecessary to have a numerous number of them.
- Kishin (鬼神, Kishin; FUNimation "Afreet"): Even Death Gods can become known as Kishins and embody a powerful type of Madness. However, doing so requires the Death God to consume a Demon Weapon in it's weapon form. As witnessed by Asura, a Death God can strangely merge it's body with a Demon Weapon in it's weaponized form.
- Great Old Ones (旧支配者, Guratto Orrudo Wan): Per being Gods, Death Gods can qualifty to become Great Old Ones by even birth, as evident with Asura being a fragment of Death. However, this can be controlled by a true Death God, as Death the Kid was not considered a Great Old One despite being a fragment himself. Great Old Ones can embody a unique variant of a Madness Wavelength.
As Death Gods, these beings are perhaps the most powerful type of race in the world, possessing a high amount of raw power as well as special advantages over normal beings within the world. Although each Death God has their own, unique abilities, most of them display the same abilities such as:
- Magic (魔法, Mahō): Death Gods are capable of utilzing magic at will.
- Immortality (不死, Fushi): A fully realized Death God is capable of being immortal, unable to be killed by almost any means. This is due to them being an embodiment of a particular concept (such as fear). This also allows them to be capable of living for long amounts of times (over eight centuries) while retaining a youthful appearance and suffering no consequence of old age.
- Regeneration (再生, Saisei):They're also capable of powerful regeneration and depending on the Death God, can reattaching their body parts
- Unique Physiology: As Death Gods, their skin are immune to sunburns , extreme temperatures, and repels everything such as poisons and cosmetics such as hair dye. It's also speculated that the effects of Demonic Energy from those such as the Magnetic Field doesn't affect them as much.
- Shinigami Powers (死神の力, Shinigami no chikara): Originating from the Lines of Sanzu are special, divine magical powers capable of being performed by a Death God. Like other abilities, it follows a Death God's particular theme/motif.
Specialized Fighting Styles
- Death God Taijutsu (死神体術, Shishin Taijutsu): A unique fighting style used by certain death gods that allows them to change attack style with a stance.
List of Death Gods
|Name||Death God Type||Status|
|Death the Kid||True (formerly Immature)||Active|
- Though Death Gods are known to reproduce via "fragmentation", it seems that they also possess groins, indicated by Kid's fear at Angela Leon's impending attack upon his testicles. It is unknown if this is a conscious decision made by the true Death God when "fragmenting," as Kid states that he was "made like a human" with intention.
- According to Excalibur, the limited number of Death Gods is due to the fact that the world itself doesn't require more than one, true Death God.