|“||Yeah...high and mighty rules...the fates of all wolves in the entire world are controlled by human rules. If any of them threatens a human's way of life, they're killed. Then when there's not many wolves left, they're taken into custody. I don't want a crappy future like that! Now it's my turn to judge. My anger is the anger of nature!!!||”|
—Free to Maka and Soul, Chapter 11
The Wolf Man with the Demon Eye (魔眼の狼男, Magan no Ōkami Otoko), better known by his alias, Free (フリー, Furī), is a werewolf, the last of the Immortal Clan and imprisoned for stealing Maba's left eye. After being freed by Eruka Frog from Medusa Gorgon's instruction, he renames himself in honor of his freedom and joins her group and acts as one of her operatives until her death. Free is one of the former antagonists in Soul Eater.
Despite his impressive power and viciousness in combat, Free is actually silly and reasonably comedic in his thoughts and actions. During his escape from Witch Prison, he explains to Eruka that while in jail he devised a plan to escape: dig a tunnel under the cell's wall with a spoon. Free came up with this idea out of inspiration from movies he had seen, and he had always thought that the concept was very "cool." This plan, however, is foiled on account of the prison only serving food that required chopsticks, never providing Free with the spoon he so desperately needed. Free is also reasonably foolish and even he acknowledges it, stating that he is is not very good at coming up with ideas. When Eruka suggests that Free could have escaped Witch Prison by urinating on the prison bars so they would corrode and rust over time, Free, upon realization of how simple the concept is, bashes his head against a nearby tree, calling himself an idiot. However, he has shown that he is capable of being cunning. During the attack on DWMA he uses an illusory duplicate to delay Kid and Black☆Star. He also managed to steal one of Maba's eyes, implying he was previously much more skilled than he is currently. This decrease in ability is likely due to his 200-year incarceration.
He also has been shown to have an incredibly bad sense of direction. During Operation Charge Baba Yaga's Castle, Free is assigned to destroy a Lock in Baba Yaga Castle's Tower Two, but instead, ends up in Tower Eight, the tower on the complete opposite side of the castle. Free responds to the realization in much the same way as he does when Eruka mentions another cliche for Free to escape prison, holding his head and shouting, frustrated with himself.
Free, overall, does not seem to like when others draw attention to his mistakes. When he fights against Maka and Soul in London, he accidentally hits himself with his own attacks on two occasions as a result of not having fought in over 200 years. He tries to avert the attention of his opponents by saying that everything is okay, and that there is nothing of interest to see.
He takes pleasure in actions against DWMA or enemies of Medusa, noticeably smiling when he is responsible for any kind of successful action against either force. When he successfully tricks Kid and Black☆Star into thinking that they are actually fighting him during The Eve Party Nightmare while they are actually only fighting an image of him, he is shown laughing at the duo after they discover the truth.
When he feels as if he is in debt to someone, Free always likes to repay the person to whom he believes he is in debt. Upon first meeting Medusa, Free almost immediately asks her how he can repay her for breaking him out of prison. At first, Medusa purposefully tests Free, saying that he does not have to repay her, to which Free persists in asking that he does so.
In his human form, he is a tall, attractive man with a muscular build, apparently seeming to be in his thirties, with some facial hair unkept. On his right shoulder he has a tattoo of unknown form, which resembles an eye. HIs left eye is removed and replaced with Maba's own Demon Eye. Above this Demon Eye is not an eyebrow but instead a tattoo of the words, without spaces, "NOFUTURE." This eye also shows no pupil or iris, instead it has a magical array.
Despite his escape from the Witch Prison, Free still almost always wears his prison clothes, complete with a ball and chain on his left leg and black and white striped prisoner pants. Although generally the top half of the outfit is tied around his waist, he also wears a simple white t-shirt instead. Later he is shown with the same shirt, but with an inverted color scheme.
In his Werewolf form, Free's appearance is that of the typical depiction of a werewolf. It features mostly dark fur; with his chest area, abdomen, hands, face, and ears all being gray. This form includes a long tail when Free first reveals himself as a werewolf; however, after it is cut off by Maka's Witch-Hunt, it is yet to be seen again. He also has extended, sharp claws and fangs.
Free's soul is large; its diameter is much longer than he is tall. Free's soul changes shape depending on the form he assumes. When assuming his more humanoid form, his soul includes spikes along the top resembling his tufts of hair and decorated with the same array as his Demon Eye and his "NOFUTURE" eyebrow tattoo. When transforming into his Werewolf form, Free's soul expands and gains two spikes at its top, resembling his wolf ears.
- Enhanced Senses: Free does at least have an enhanced sense of smell both in his human form and presumably in his Werewolf form.
- Immortality (不死, Fushi): Due to being of the Immortal Clan, Free has the ability not only to live longer but also to survive any injury set to him and instantly heal, even healing as far as losing his limbs such as his arm or torso. He can also take amazing levels of punishment due to his immortality such as being stabbed, being skewered, and taking Kid's shots from the Demon Twin Guns, though he still feels the pain.
- Enhanced Strength: Free is incredibly strong, capable of lifting up his iced-enhanced Ball and Chain in his human form with incredible ease and utilizing it as a weapon, as well as sending Mosquito in his 200 Years Ago through a brick wall with ease.
- Transformation (変身, Henshin): As a Werewolf, Free is capable of transforming into a Human as well as that of a Werewolf to increase his power.
Martial Arts (武道, Budō): Free is an extremely proficient and capable martial artist, having easily gotten the upper-hand on Maka in his Werewolf form and, combined with his unarmed capabilities and Ice Magic in his human form, is powerful enough to even physically outclass Mosquito in his 100 Years Ago form during their battle with him in Baba Yaga's Castle. He also displays an impressive level of skill when fighting Kid, keeping up with the ruse of being a illusion.
- Fighting Wolf Fist (闘狼拳, Tōrōken): Free's selected fighting style and a variation of Mantis Boxing, it is an aggressive fighting style that takes advantage of his immortality and allows him to power on through others' attacks.
Wolf Man of LegendEdit
Due to his transformation abilities as a Werewolf, Free can take up his true form, the Wolf Man of Legend (伝説の狼男, Densetsu no ōkami otoko). In this form, his power and soul is heighten to a degree far stronger than his human form. During this form, he gains access to using certain techniques and spells.
- Wolf Tail Wall (狼尾壁, Rōbihek): A defensive technique in which enlarges Free's wolf tail to being larger then the size of his body, enabling him to defend himself from powerful attacks.
- Demon Eye Cannon (魔眼砲, Maganhō; FUNimation "Magic Eye Cannon"): A powerful spell originating from the Demon Eye in which creates a magical eye to fire a powerful cannon at a target. This Magic spell takes up much magical power, only able to be fired in Free's Werewolf form.
- Claws: During this form, he can make use of his claws. Free can also extend his claws at will at a formidable distance strong enough to skewer Maka Albarn's body and cling onto.
- Enhanced Durability: In this form, he was able to withstand Maka's Number 6 Hunt.
Being considered a Witch and a Magic user, it is speculated that Free himself may be susceptible to attacks like that of the Witch-Hunt (or the other Great Traditional Techniques of the Scythe-Meister) by Maka, despite being Immortal. In addition, Free is rusty after having not used his own abilities in over 200 years, which causes him to misplace his own spells, affecting himself instead of his targets. This causes him to lose against Maka and Black☆Star using their respective weapons. He later overcomes this weakness.
Free is also capable of overestimating at times, such as when he claims he could hold the Independent Cube for one hour but in reality, could not even hold for more then forty minutes and even admits that he exaggerated due to being prideful. This may also have been the case since Spatial Magic in particular is distorted against Madness and Death was imprisoned in his spell. However, Free has also admits himself after a time that his control over Spatial Magic in itself is poor compared to Maba. Free even has his own limits; despite his renowned power, he is easily taken out by Mosquito in less then one second just after the latter transforms into his 400 Years Ago form.
His Demon Eye's magical energy is also finite and must be recharged to pull off the Independent Cube spell, which also requires the backing of Calculation Spells in order to pull off. The Demon Eye can be inhibited, with Maba ensuring to cover his Demon Eye with blindfold covered with magical symbols and seals to prevent the usage of his powerful Magic within his arsenal. His large size has proven to be a problem and makes him incapable of utilizing stealth, as seen when he tries to break Eruka out of DWMA custody only to be caught, with DWMA guards pointing out he is "huge and stands out", further speculating that spotting him would be obvious.
Demon Eye (魔眼, Magan; FUNimation "Magic Eye"): Plucked from the left eye of the Witch Queen, Maba, the Demon Eye gives Free the ability to utilize the same Magic she possesses. Along with bestowing him other Magics, it also includes its own Magic and a powerful, cannon spell.
- Soul Protect (ソウルプロテクト, Souru Purotekuto): Free can utilize Magic capable of disguising his soul as that of an ordinary human being and suppressing his unique soul characteristics and Soul Wavelength. While under this protection, he is unable to utilize Magic.
- Spatial Magic (空間魔法, Kūkan Mahō): Free is also adept at using Spatial Magic, a magic which specializes in warping and manipulating space. Although he is proficient at it, he has admitted that his own control over this magic is poor in comparison to Maba.
- Teleport (転送, Tensō): This spell enables Free capable of teleporting from one place to another, though his level of precision with Spatial Magic prevents him from always teleporting to a desired location.
- Independent Cube (無干渉領域, Indipendento Kyūbu): Another variation of Spatial Magic, this High-Level Spell allows Free to create a barrier in the shape of a "cube" which cuts off space from the rest of the world around it and is even cable of trapping Death. Free himself can only maintain this Magic for less then 40 minutes. Also due to his improper precision, he can only cast this Magic with the assistance of Calculation Spells.
- Forwarding Vision (映像転送 (フォワーディング・ビジョン), Fowādingu Bijon): A variation of Spatial Magic, this allows Free to project a vision of himself into certain places where he appears as a holographic, live image capable of fooling even Death the Kid for a time, as well as Mosquito.
- Ice Attribute Magic (氷属性の魔法, Kōri Zokusei no Mahō): Free is an extremely proficient wielder of Ice Magic, a magic specializing in freezing his intended target/subject, and combines the usage of his Magic with his physical capabilities.
- Ice Spindle (氷錘体, Hyōsuitai; FUNimation "Ice Cone"): A spell Free summons cones of solid ice. This cone can be either large or small, the former able to completely bisect his enemy and the latter able to potentially skewer his opponent. When he was rusty, casting Demon Eye Cannon incorrectly instead actives this spell.
- Ice Pillar (氷柱体, Hyōchūtai; FUNimation "Ice Cylinder"): A spell in which Free creates a pillar of ice in a desire location.
- Ice Sphere (氷球体, Hyōkyūtai): A spell that encases a ball shaped object in ice, creating a large and dense sphere of it. Due to it's large size, Free often uses it's crushing power to cause a great deal of damage to his targets.
- Ice Bind (氷縛, Hyōbaku): A spell in which binds Free's target with ice.
- Frigid Jailhouse (極寒の豚箱, A Vasili): Using moisture present within the surroundings of the target, Free can make use of this spell to completely encase them in ice. The ice forms the shape of a police cell around the opponent completely immobilizing them. To establish this technique Free must first collect the water upon the ground around the opponent, before causing it to rise up and subsequently freeze.
Ball and Chain (Formerly): From an improvised weapon, Free formerly carried around a Ball-and-Chain around his ankle aquired during his tenure in prison. He was capable of fending off the Witch's Guards as well as Maka herself. To increase it's effectiveness, he even utilizes his Ice Magic to freeze the ball.
Two hundred years ago, Free stole the Grand Witch Maba's eye. When they fought, she discovered that no matter how much effort she put into it, she could not successfully kill him on account of his Immortality. She, however, used an alternate strategy in defeating Free, and instead of killing him, restrained and had him locked up in Witch Prison for life. He became famously known among Witches as "Prisoner 13, The Man with the Demon Eye". In order to ensure he never escaped, Maba personally kept the key to his cell in her room.
Free's appearance comes in turn when Medusa finds an interest in Soul and plans to test the Black Blood that is present in his body. Medusa has Eruka release him from prison. Medusa calls him "Demon Eye", but he states that everything was taken from him, including his name, so on account of his recent freedom, he names himself "Free." He naturally allies himself with Medusa, based on the fact that they both do not like DWMA. He is then sent out to London where he engages in battle with Black☆Star and Maka as part of Medusa's "experiment". After fending off Black☆Star, he then reveals that he is a part of the Immortal Clan and is a Werewolf. After transforming he gains the upper hand until Maka and Soul use Witch-Hunt and is tackled after, sending him off the bridge. In an attempt to get back on the bridge, he mistakenly freezes himself and falls into the River Thames below.
During the celebration of DWMA's anniversary, Free appears alongside Medusa, Eruka, Crona, and Mizune. He uses the power of his left eye to cast Independent Cube with the help of Eruka's Magic Calculation, and traps the staff and student body within the ballroom. The barrier is supposed to hold up for an hour, enough time for Free and Eruka to get to and to inject the Black Blood into Asura, who is buried under DWMA, thus reviving the Kishin.
With Stein left behind to fight Medusa, Kid is to go straight after Free and Eruka; Maka is to advance with Kid as back-up; Black☆Star is to hold up Crona. Disobeying orders, Maka fights Crona while Black☆Star goes on to catch up with Kid. Noticing that Kid is catching up, Free decides to setup a diversion. He uses Forwarding Vision to create an image of himself, and then shoots his Demon Eye Cannon at Kid to support the fact that the image is real. Kid attacks the image numerous times, but as he believes that it is immortal, he finds himself in a bad situation. Black☆Star then arrives and begins to engage in battle also. Being that he is a close-range fighter, he goes straight to the image and attacks, not knowing that every attack he does goes straight through the image. Kid notices this and exposes Free, but by the time they realize this, Free and Eruka are already close to the shrine.
Free and Eruka enter the shrine, feeling the presence of Asura the moment they open the door. Upon entering, the Madness begins to take its toll on Eruka as she imagines frightful things happening to her. Free notices this and returns to aid her but finds himself being pulled into the madness. They shortly break free before killing themselves and proceed on with the mission. When they finally reach Asura, they are confronted by Kid, who has caught up with them. In an attempt to destroy the Black Blood, Kid initiates a continuous fire at Eruka. Free steps in the field of fire taking advantage of his immortality and giving Eruka time to inject the blood. As she tries to inject it, Black☆Star appears and seemingly destroys the container of the blood, but in reality, he mistakenly attacks the statue above, thus failing in his original intentions. Asura then awakens, blows back Black☆Star after his failed attempt to use Big Wave, and takes Kid out too.
Before the operation begins, Free is shown to have infiltrated Arachnophobia in preparation for Medusa's movements. He is shown several times but does nothing that can be considered noteworthy. When Medusa's plan to confront Arachne goes into effect, he is supposed to go to Tower One but, due to a complete lack of any sense of direction, goes instead towards Tower Two. However, he ends up at Tower Eight, where he meets up with Kid. Since he recognizes Mosquito's strength, he contributes his messing up to fate and decides to help Kid, even though having to fight alongside a Death God 'kinda pisses him off'. The pair agree that destroying the locking artifact at this tower takes priority over their feelings for each other and Free comments that they must be great comrades to be able to desert each other without the slightest hesitation.
Kid and Free assault Mosquito, and Free's physical strength combined with his use of A Vasili proves to be too much for Mosquito's 100 Years Ago form to handle. Kid sees a chance to get past Mosquito but Free's subsequent attack knocks Mosquito in that particular direction, causing Kid to call him a fool. Mosquito goes back to his 200 Years Ago form, resulting in him gaining the upper hand for a short while, as even his current speed can not stand up to Free's strength. Free manages to regain his footing and swings Mosquito through a wall along with himself and Kid. In this new area, Mosquito has far more room to move than the hallway, meaning Kid is unable to hit him. Free, however, creates some Ice Pillars to restrict Mosquito's movements, providing Kid with a chance to inflict damage in close combat. Free then proceeds to use his Ice Bind to increase their advantage even further, and Kid knocks Mosquito out of his current predicament and onto the floor. Free uses A Vasili to completely encase Mosquito in ice, transforms into his Werewolf form, and fires a Demon Eye Cannon simultaneously with Kid's Death Cannon.
Mosquito survives with heavy damage and goes on revert to his 400 Years Ago form. In less than a second he manages to cut Free in half and cut Kid's left arm off. "BREW" activates within Kid not much later, allowing Free to use him as a distraction and to conduct Forwarding Vision, which tricks Mosquito into thinking that Free is still there, and Free goes off to destroy the Lock. Once it is destroyed Mosquito leaves to protect Arachne.
Arachnophobia vs DWMA Arc (Anime-Only)Edit
Free is heard outside Eruka's cell door in DWMA, claiming that he is there to rescue her. Eruka is overjoyed to see him when the door opens, but is disappointed to see that Free has merely been captured as well, as his size apparently hindered his infiltration.
Free joins Kid, Eruka, Kim, Risa, and Arisa to go to the Witches' Realm to negotiate with Maba and the witches about an alliance against the Kishin. Instead they are arrested and put on trial. As an Immortal, Free is sentenced to death one-thousand times, an amount that dwarfs his witch allies' single- to double-digit number of death sentences, yet itself is dwarfed by Kid's sentence to death one-million times. Fortunately, Kid is able to negotiate a different outcome, earning the opportunity to leave the Witches' Realm and leave Kim to conclude negotiations.
A few weeks after Asura's defeat, Free is seen with the other witches at Kid's ceremony. As Eruka says that peace between witches and DWMA may not be so bad, Free seems to agree.
- Suitable for his status as a wolfman, Free is prone to making references to fairy tales involving the Big Bad Wolf: When he battles the DWMA students for first time on Tower Bridge, he said he would blow down every kind of house just to find them (stated in manga only), a reference to "Three Little Pigs", where the wolf character blows with his breath the houses in which the pigs were hidden, though he could not destroy the solid one. He also makes a reference to Little Red Riding Hood, saying that Maka would look good as the Red Riding Hood.
- Free's English voice artist, Travis Willingham, is married to Maka Albarn's voice artist, Laura Bailey. Willingham and Bailey also played characters on opposite sides in the English dub of Fullmetal Alchemist, with Willingham as Colonel Roy Mustang and Bailey as the Homunculus Lust.
- In the Funimation English dub for Episode 37, Free, disguised as an Arachnophobia agent and speaking with Medusa Gorgon via her Crystal Ball, was voiced by Chris Cason, credited as "Arachnid" (perhaps a generic name for members of Arachnophobia).
- Although Free wears the ball and chain on his left leg, on the cover of Volume 6, the restraint is on his right leg.
|Spies||Crona • Ragnarok • Eruka Frog • Free • Mizune Family|
|High-Ranking Members||Maba • Witch Judge|
|Witches||Eruka Frog • Angela Leon • Mizune Family • Kim Diehl • Taruho Firefly • Tabasa Butterfly • Free • Shaula Gorgon • Witch Assistant|
|Former Members||Arachne Gorgon • Medusa Gorgon • Kimial Diehl|
|Military & Resources||Guard Dog Troop • Flamethrower • Magic Flying Broomstick • Magic|
|Occurences||Witch Mass • Witch Trial|