"It's not like I was born a witch because I wanted to be one. I hated the world of the witches and ran away. I thought that If I was at DWMA, I could cut my ties to being a witch. I even cut my prized hair, dressed like a boy, and avoided others."
Kimial Diehl (キミアール・ディール, Kimiāru Dīru), more commonly known as Kim Diehl (ディールキム, DīruKimu) in Death Weapon Meister Academy, is a tanuki witch that fled from her homeland due to the suffering she faced from having a special magic befitting a tanuki witch.
After serving as a student in the N.O.T Class, she was enrolled into the E.A.T Class as part of Kilik's team and was partnered to Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupre as her meister and recognized as one of the top meisters among one-star meisters.. After the downfall of Arachnophobia, she was later promoted to a two-star meister and made a member of Spartoi.
She is one of the major supporting characters in both Soul Eater and Soul Eater NOT!.
Befitting her theme as a tanuki witch, Kim is initially shown to value money and compensation and is remarked to be rather intimidating. According to Eternal Feather, a victim of her manipulation at her insecurities in her appearance, her nasty personality combined with her misleading appearance earned her the nickname "Witch of the Girls' Dorm" by her classmates at Death Weapon Meister Academy. Additionally, she is a lax individual and can appear insensitive to others, often insulting others with seemingly little regard for how her words affect another, especially notable in her initial treatment of Jacqueline due to her "hardass" personality and strict manner.
However, much of her nasty personality is somewhat of a facade in order to keep others at a distance in order to better hide the fact she is a true witch, utterly terrified at the perceived treatment she will receive should anyone find out. This fear was strong enough to incline her to cut off her long hair (something she had pride in) and dress as a tomboy in an attempt to keep others away. Due to her nature of using regeneration magic, lacking the usual witches' pull of magic because of it, and the suffering that came from it, Kim is conflicted with her own nature as a witch and only truly comes to terms with it after returning to the DWMA upon Ox Ford's insistence of DWMA accepting her nature as a witch.
Due to her close friendship with Jacqueline overtime, forging friendship with others like Tsugumi Harudori, Ox Ford's eventual optimism in her acceptance in DWMA regardless of her being a witch, much of her true personality manifests: one that shows compassion for other, especually to friends and dogs. Though her attachment to money and wealth remained as well as her general shameless manipulation (such as by creating lies and/or fake crying to make it more believable according to Death the Kid), the latter became more done for smaller and even well-intended reasons. She also began showing off more of her feminine side such as loving to draw light-hearted and "cute" drawings and interest in wearing Deathbucks Café's maid outfit. As a young witch, she is also prone to using terminology used by witches such as "witchin'" (similar to the word kidding) and vulgar terms like "bull-witch". S
Comically, Tsugumi remarked that Kim is more easily teased than she gives off and is utterly embarrassed at showing off her feminine traits initially. It's also shown that abandonment for a small, harmless period of time makes her also more attached to others upon reuniting with them, Jacqueline remarking that it made her "heart grow fonder".
Initially, Kim had long, pink vibrant hair with deep blue eyes as well as dog-like ears as she wore a typical, sailor fuku schoolgirl uniform in which is colored lightblue long the collar with a white line, a white main body, and a pink ribbon. It's assumed along with the uniform, she wore some sort of pleated skirt. She later changed her outfit, cutting her hair to a far shorter length and was then outfitted a sports jacket, mini-skirt, sneakers, and striped stockings. Under her sports jacket, she wears a white T-shirt with a tanuki insignia on the left.
Lamp Meister (ランプ職人, Ranpu Shokunin): Kim's weapon of choice is primary a demon lamp, capable of using her own partner's transformation to fend of elite unites within Arachnophobia. With the Change "Pixie" form, she can use it to ride the form like that of a broomstick, befitting her nature as a witch. In the anime, Kim is shown capable of defending herself by fighting with it similarly to a pole-arm weapon. In battle, she was easily able to defeat numerous traitors on her lonesome and defend herself against assaults from Misery.
Magic (魔法, Mahō): As a tanuki witch, Kim is inherently capable of performing and manipulating magic at will. She's shown the be capable of transferring her own magic into another at will, an ability that can awaken special powers of people such as earth shamans.
Transformation (変身, Henshin): As a Tanuki Witch, her theme is that of a tanuki (raccoon dog) and as such, is capable of transforming into said animal.
Hand-to-Hand Combat (体術, Taijutsu): Trained at the DWMA, Kim possess excellent hand-to-hand combat skills. She was able to easily take down the likes of Misery with a single kick to her head. Receiving further training by Mira Naigus, she also was able to at least hold her own against the likes of Patty Thompson, who's surprisingly skilled in hand-to-hand combat enabled her to beat the likes of Ox Ford before hand. However, once defeated, Kim even admitted herself that Patty is "way out of my league".
Con Artist: Kim is a skilled con artist, able to forge both documents and other people's signature and hand writing as well as use her looks to her advantage.
Intimidation: Kim possess a personality that makes her seem intimidating to others during her tenure in the [[Normally Overcome Target Class}N.O.T Class]], earning her the nickname "Witch of the Girls' Dorm".
- Partnered with Jacqueline O'Lantern Dupre
Demon Lamp (魔角灯, Ma Kakutō): When partnered with Jacqueline, Kim is capable of using her Demon Lamp transformation. With it, she can create explosive blasts of fire that can incinerate her targets by pulling back it's chain and aiming the weapon at her opponents. She can also use the Demon Lamp in a chain weapon-like manner.
- Change "Pixie" (C H A N G E 「P I X Y」, Chenji "Pikushī"): A transformation in which Kim attaches a collapsible bar and Jacqueline extends it into the length more reminiscent of a pole-arm weapon or broomstick. This allows Kim the capability of taking flight similar to a witch with their flying broomstick and in the anime, for her to use it in a manner similar to a staff.
List of magicsEdit
- Regeneration Magic (再生魔法, Saisei Mahō): As a Tanuki Witch, Kim herself admitted that this type of Magic is her forte. This type of Magic allows her to heal herself or other individuals of mortally serious injuries within the span of seconds. In addition to this, this Magic doesn't heal only physical ailments but also reverts certain things back to their original state, such as repairing the a tear of her shirt or the tearing of one's head (though they cannot shampoo their head for another two or three days).
- Calculation Spells (演算魔法, Enzan Mahō): Kim is capable of performing certain Calculation Spells. This allows her to place "coordinates" to assist in various magical feats such as transporting Spartoi into the Book of Eibon via it's maniscript.
- Sexy Magic (色気魔法, Iroke Mahō): Kim is also skilled in the usage of Sexy Magic. This allows her to increase the apparent sex appeal of an individual to heighten levels, causing those around them to consider them more attractive.
- Calculation Spells
- Magic Calculation (マジックカリキュレーション, Majikku Karikureshon): This spell allows Kim to place "coordinates" and allow for a vareity of effects. With assistance from Eruka Frog, Tabatha Butterfly, and Taruho Firefly, she was able to help transport Spartoi into theBook of Eibon and place the coordinates to aim the Forwarding Protection spell at the Clowns..
List of special movesEdit
- Partnered with Jaqueline (Demon Lamp)
- Volantern (ヴォルランタン, Vorurantan): A technique in which after swinging the Demon Lamp at a target and it makes contact, a powerful, close-range explosion is created as a result.
Although Kim possesses healing magic that allows her to recover from fatal injuries and maintain her youthful appearance, she could conceivably be killed in combat if she was unable to use magic on her injuries in time. Her magic can be limited by the extent of the injury to heal, as even multiple applications of Regeneration Magic could not completely remove deep scars such as the one inflicted by Mifune onto Black☆Star.
Kim arrives to the Anya, Meme, and Tsugumi's room, saving Tsugumi from the crazy superintendent, Ms. Misery. She then goes further and comments them to lower the noise level and reminds them they're now students of the DWMA and it should not be difficult living with a "psycho for a superintendent.". She then leaves. Later the next day, she meets Tsugumi who thanks her. Kim then demands money from Tsugumi, taking her week's allowance.
$$$! Money, Money, Money!Edit
Kim is later seen talking to Ox Ford when she was the prime subject of the conversation between the girls and Eternal Feather, who reveals that she is the reason she has an embarrassing name. She later then reveals that Ox is one of the few males in the school who still flirts with her. In return of the flirtation, he is prompt punched. 
Later at the end of the week, She witnessed Ox give money to Tsugumi, who was extorted out of her weekly allowance by Kim earlier that week. She then calls him a "dummy", wondering why he's so nice to her.
Kim is seen with Ox and Kirikou as Maka runs past them, crying.
Kim and her partner, along with the other Shibusen students, were sent on a mission to retrieve 'Brew' before Arachnophobia could. Stein tells her to use Jacqueline to send out a signal for Shibusen to retreat if he and Marie do not return within 20 minutes. Kim is next with the group using Jacqueline to act as a heater. She fusses and states she should be charging people for it. When they are ambushed by opposing forces she stays with Ox and Kirikou to fight off the enemies and Golems present at the center of the island.
When the 20 minutes nears its end, she uses Jackie to fly above and form the signal for retreat. Sid catches view of the signal and retreats. As he emerges, Kim and Jackie informs him of Stein and Marie not returning and that Ox and Kirikou are still in battle.
Kim and Jackie are at a Witch Massing. Kim, dressed as a raccoon comments that her double life is hard. Jackie tells her to hang in there, and that she will be with her. Kim puffs, and states they have to go and make some money soon.
Kim and Jackie are alone somewhere. Kim worries that, if the witch assembly discover she has infiltrated Shibusen, after such an act had been strictly prohibited, she would be excommunicated. Furthermore, if Shibusen discovers she is a witch, she will surely be alone. Jackie assures her that she will never be alone. Kim apologizes to Jackie for getting her caught up in her troubles. Jackie reminds her that they are Shibusen students--they would never abandon their friends. After the talk, they head back to Shibusen.
When she reaches Shibusen, Ox notices and greets her, but she lands right past him. Ox tells her that Sid and Nygus were awaiting them in Shinigami's base. Nygus appears and asks Kim and Jackie to come with her. An officer grabs hold of Jackie, and she responds by materializing her arm into lantern form and burns the official. Kim calls for Jackie and they fly off. Kim looks back with tears in her eyes.
They land in an area surrounded by trees and begins to worry of her dim situation. She thinks what the other students could be saying about her. She falls into Jackie's arms and wishes to go back. A spider soon comes down and is followed by a luxury limousine. The window rolls down to reveal Mosquito. He tells Kim and Jackie to get in, for they have nowhere else to go. Despite some defiance from Jackie, he reminds Kim of her situation. Kim goes in and Jackie follows suit.
Operation: Capture Baba Yaga's CastleEdit
After Kim's witch heritage is discovered by Shibusen, she flees with Jacqueline in fear. In reality the school had full intention to hear her out but the two men sent to approach her acted in a too hostile manner, provoking her into running. Kim and her weapon then become allied with the group Arachnophobia, a group that serves the witch Arachne. It was here that they were betrayed and forced to suffer the Morality Manipulation Machine.
During the Shibusen attack on Arachnophobia's base, Kim is confronted by Ox, who risks his life to break Kim free from the brainwash caused by the machine. When Ox breaks his antenna-like hairstyle (which he openly states is intentional) he gets through to her, offering to create a place where she can go. She now seems to reciprocate Ox's feelings. They both then searched out and found Kilik but before they could proceed any further the group were severely affected by Arachne's insanity, which had spread throughout the castle. Thanks to the actions of Maka and Soul, they were saved and able to aid in the conclusion of the assault.
Tying Things Up, and New BeginningsEdit
Due to the preceding circumstances; Kim, with her hair newly cut shorter then before, is summoned to Shinigami's room alongside Jacqueline, Tsubaki, and Angela. Sid and Shinigami discuss the issue of what they should do with the two witches. Sid notes that Kim's regeneration magic is in conflict with the natural destructive magic, known as the witches sway of magic and is unlikely to be influenced; and that Angela is still too young for the sway of magic to have taken any hold, but it is no guarantee that she will not become a threat as she grows older. Horrified by this, Kim proposes that, if she were to periodically expose Angela to her regenerative magic, she might be able to suppress Angela's destructive instincts. She also proposes that, if that does not work, there is the option of using the Moral Manipulation Machine, brought back from Baba Yaga's Castle, on Angela.
Without much thought, Shinigami agrees to let Angela stay.
Kim is introduced in the middle of sparring with Patti--who is in her fifth match in a row--but is both quickly and easily defeated by her. Kim, along with her partner are seen to have become apart of the new Shibusen Elite Unit "Spartoi".
I'm Gonna be an AngelEdit
Kim is seen flying using her weapon, Jackie. This was done in front of Maka and Soul so they can hopefully learn enough information on how to fly in order to do it themselves. Once the demonstration is completed, Kim and Jackie both witness Maka and Soul's first attempts at flying, which fails miserably when they spiral out of control and land rather ungracefully on the ground.
After further and largely more successful flight training; Kim, Maka and their respective partners decide to return to Shibusen. Maka's rather ineffective wings cause Kim to question whether she can go a little faster, however, it appears that she's at her limit. When she subsequently starts arguing with Soul, Kim considers leaving but realizes her duty is to accompany them back. Although, it doesn't take much convincing afterward to provoke her into returning without the others.
Kim is one of the witches (alongside Risa and Arisa) that assists Eruka in her Arithmetic Magic spell in order to transfer members of Spartoi into the Book of Eibon. Later, she hears from Ox that Tezca Tlipoca has died, and is visibly worried for her peers.
Kim and Jacqueline, along with Maka and Soul, accompany Stein to Russia to help with the recovery of those who fell under the Madness. As Kim heals one of the paitients, he looks at her and believes her to be cute.
There is Someone to AdmireEdit
Kim was present during the Death's order to put Crona on the list of people to be captured and executed. She complained that Death is being hard on Maka.
Battle on the MoonEdit
She, Kid, Eruka, Free, Alisa and Lisa head to Witch City for negotiations for Shibusen, only to be caught and put on trial.
- Kim's animal theme as a witch is the tanuki, a rare species of canid indigenous to Japan and which resembles a raccoon. Kim's animal theme suits her personality: the tanuki is portrayed in Japanese folklore to be associated with wealth, gold and money. Likewise, Kim is also very attached to money. Also, tanuki in mythology are said to have healing powers and transformation abilities, both of which are associated with Kim. Like tanukis, Kim also enjoys dining on omelets.
- The information sheet from Kim's fan club in the Soul Eater NOT! anime provides the following information about Kim: her body measurements are B81, W51, H79; her height is 154 cm; her weight is 43 kg; she is right-handed; her skin is papayawhip; and her trademark phrase is "pay money." As well, the information sheet suggests her blood type is B, as based on her personality.
- Despite having forged her background to get into the DWMA, Sid Barrett and the DWMA Intelligence Agency had already suspected of her being a young Witch slipping into the student background. It is implied, however, that they awaited to see her intentions.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 1.2 1.3 1.4 Soul Eater Volume 9; Chapter 34, page 121
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 34
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 Soul Eater Not! Manga: Chapter 9
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ Soul Eater Not Manga: JOT! 2
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 12; Chapter 48, page 161
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 11; Chapter 44, page 149
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 5
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 98
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 13; Chapter 51, page 109
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 13; Chapter 63-64
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! manga: Chapter 3
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! manga: Chapter 8-9
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 14.2 14.3 Soul Eater' Manga: Chapter 51
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 Soul Eater Manga: Cahpter 98
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Volume 3; JOT! 1
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Volume 3; JOT! 2
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 12
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 71
- ↑ Soul Eater Not! Volume 4; Jot 7
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 3
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Anime: Episode 7
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 36
- ↑ Soul Eater Anime: Episode 12
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 67
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Volume 1; Chapter 2, page 75 (eBook)
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 15; Chapter 62, page 158 (eBook)
- ↑ 28.0 28.1 Soul Eater Not! Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 51
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 35
- ↑ Soul Eater Not! Anime: Episode 12
- ↑ 32.0 32.1 Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 72
- ↑ Soul Eater: Beware the Sexy Magic Audio Drama
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 101
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 15, Yen Press English translation: Chapter 62, Page 158
- ↑ Soul Eater Manga: Chapter 50
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 2
- ↑ 38.0 38.1 Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 3
- ↑ Soul Eater Volume 13: Yen Press English translation, page 191
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Episode 4
- ↑ Soul Eater NOT! Manga: Chapter 14