The soul of a witch is usually purple, and is shaped like a human soul. However, witches like Shaula Gorgon may show that this isn't always the case. The Soul Wavelength of a witch is also distinguishable, though this cannot be physically seen.
Witches are capable of engaging in sexual reproduction like that of a human. Despite the strife between humans & witchkind, witches may still engaged and produce offspring with them. From the example of Crona, it is entirely possible for a union between a witch and another to result in a completely human child.
Eight hundred years ago, the Witches' control in general was far more spread with them using their power to cause great destruction, especially among humans. However, the DWMA's efforts as well as the creation and usage of Demon Weapons to even the playing field by using their own power against them have caused the Witches to later lose the upper-hand for a long time and as a result, have made them shunned and resorted to being trapped in an isolated space: the Witches' Realm. The destruction from the Witches has caused a strife between both Humans and Witch-Kind alike that has lasted for over eight centuries.
Death the Kid himself stated that in reality, the racial feud is the result of the generational hatred from the Witches. The hatred, in addition, stems mostly from the older generation rather than the new generation of Witches.
The general population of Humans are extremely distrustful of Witches from their previous attempts of causing destruction centuries ago, labeled them as powerful, intimidating, and cunning. This not only applies to general humans, but even the ordinary members of DWMA's personnel seem to discriminate Witches. This distrustful nature causes Witches (such as Kim Diehl) to even avoid/hide their Witch heritage with Soul Protect. The only exceptions of these rule seem to apply to the higher up members of the DWMA (i.e., Death Scythes), whom are aware of the history behind the Witch Order.
However, Witches in general hold neither Humans (Demon Weapons included) nor Grim Reapers in that high regard. General Witches harbor an immense hatred of Humans and Reapers alike, attributing to the fact that they're unable to co-exist with one another due to their instinct for destruction. Under the Witch Order's laws, it's stated that being a Death God itself is a crime punishable with a million deaths. As explained by Tezca Tlipoca and Death himself, the usage of their own power and Witch souls against them also deepened their hatred as well as their control and power not only being taken away but force into isolation. Kim Diehl's comments also show that Witches have doubts about a Death God's Judgement, being unaware that even Gods of Death (Death) themselves do not believe their powers to be completely infallible though their touch on order itself unwavering. Medusa Gorgon once claimed that blasphemy is the "job" of Witches.
After the battle on the Moon and the Clown Army in which marked the first time Humans and Witches banded together against a common threat, Death the Kid sought to improve relation between Witches and Humans alike.
Eight hundred years ago and prior to the founding of Death Weapon Meister Academy, evil witches that threatened order were occasionally hunted by Death himself and (later) the Eight Shinigami Legions similarly to evil humans.
After the dissolution of the Eight Shinigami Legions and founding of Death Weapon Meister Academy, the hunting of witches changed. Because inclusion of the demon weapons in their ranks, the academy began using the souls of evil witches in order to make demon weapons into death weapon (or "true demon weapons) in order to better fight back against the threats of other witches, a decision that deepened the hatred between the Witch Order and Death Weapon Meister Academy.
The tasking of hunting of evil witches was given as one of the responsibilities undertaken by DWMA Central Intelligence Agency, though the executing of a witch was only officially possible by obtaining a execution order by Death himself, in which case proof has to be presented.
Types of WitchesEdit
Witches are classified by their type and capability:
- Necromancer (死霊使い, Nekuromansā): A Witch who specializes in reviving the dead as a Mummy or Evil Spirit. Only Samantha is a known Necromancer.
- Tanuki Witch (タヌキの魔女, Tanuki no Majo): Tanuki Witches are Witches whose themes are tanukis, Japanese raccoon dogs. Tanuki are known to be "Masters of Regeneration" and as such, Tanuki Witches are users of Regeneration Magic. These Witches are looked down upon by the Witch Order due to lacking the Pull of Magic. Kimial Diehl is the only known Tanuki Witch.
- High Level Witch (上級魔女, Jōkyū Majo): A powerful Witch who is recognized as "advanced" and is capable of contending with other, high caliber opponents.
- Short-Range Witch (近距離型魔女, Kinkyori-Gata Majo): Witches capable of fighting in close combat. Medusa is the only known short-range witch.
- Little Witch (チビ魔女, Chibi Majo): A type of Witch who is young and inexperienced, thus still developing her magical power.
Throughout the world, there are various groups and clans consisting of witches with each having different goals, ideologies, and even possess their own standards for society. Some of these groups either are exclusively witch or have accepted witches among their ranks.
Although many Witches possess various unique traits and abilities, the majority share common abilities.
- Magic (魔法, Mahō): Witches are most renowned for their ability to manipulate the almost limitless energy known as Magic.
- Transform (変身, Henshin): Many Witches possess the ability to transform into animals of their according theme (often employing Transformation Magic). However, this is not an ability all Witches share, such as Medusa Gorgon, who utilizes other means to enter animals.
- Magic Sense: Some Witches have shown proficiency in sensing the magical power within other beings possessing Magic.
- Longevity: Witches are far more "long-lived" then Humans, with many surpassing the century mark. Because of this, it's often difficult to gauge a Witch's actual age from her appearance. It seems that Witches age at a normal rate until a certain point in age before slowing down. Even Witches over 800 years old, such as Arachne, can retain a youthful appearance. Despite appearance, however, the effects of aging is still apparent on the body.
Certain Magics are independent from the theme of a Witches and are learned among the race:
- Manipulation Magic (操作系の魔法, Sōsakei no Mahō): Many Witches are skilled in using Manipulation Magic one way or another, enabling them to perform mind control with their Magic. The usage is common enough for DWMA Central Intelligence Agency to have a archive of known Witches specializing in mind control.
- Calculation Spells (演算魔法, Enzan Mahō): Mathematics-related Magic in which creates "place-makers" for positioning specific Magics such as Spatial Magic. This Magic was founded upon by the Sorcerer, Rerené Descartes and Witches vary in skill according to their skills in using math.
- Magic Calculation (マジックカリキュレーション, Majikku Karikureshon): The spell that evokes the effects of Calculation Spells.
- Transformation Magic (変身魔法, Henshin Mahō): Magic that allows Witches to transform their appearance. Witches uses this particular skill to transform themselves into their general animal theme.
Among Witches, there are Magics considered advance. Depending on the scale of Magics, the most powerful of advance Magics come with a drawback of being only to be potentially held at an hour max:
- Independent Cube (無干渉領域, Indipendento Kyūbu):A High-Level Spell in which allows a Witch with Spatial Magic to be able to cut off space within a given area from all other Worlds. However, due to the power needed to perform this spell, a practitioner can only hold the Magic in place for an hour at max.
- Soul Protect (ソウルプロテクト, Souru Purotekuto):A High-Level Spell capable of disguising a Witch's soul to that of an ordinary good Human. The spell was created to counter the technique, Soul Perception..
- Regeneration Magic (再生魔法, Saisei Mahō): Magic that specializes in healing. Due to the Magic's nature being opposite of the Witches' destructive-inclination instinct known as the "Pull of Magic", the Magic is considered to be taboo among Witches. Tanuki Witches are known for performing this Magic.
Specialized Soul WavelengthsEdit
Even among Witches, these beings can attain a certain specialized Soul Wavelengths:
- Madness Wavelength (狂気の波長, Kyōki no hachō): A Madness Wavelength is a special wavelength that is a powerful draw towards Madness. A Witch that develops a Madness Wavelength will facilitate their own variant of Madness "force" based on personality. (e.x Arachne's own variant of madness invades other's mind and insecurities. This sensation is described as spiders eating away at the mind.)
Techniques originating from the Great Traditional Techniques of the Scythe-Meister, such as the Witch-Hunt, are moves tailored to kill Witches, especially the evil ones. When captured, Witches are also gagged to prevent the usage of spells, especially those who require chants or are already under Soul Protect. When forcing Witches to cooperate, the DWMA also employs the usage of a special Collar which is set to explode and kill the wearer should they try anything against the DWMA's wishes.
List of WitchesEdit
|Angela Leon||Witches' Realm||Little Witch||Chameleon||Active|
|Arachne Gorgon||Witches' Realm||N/A||Spider||Deceased|
|Eruka Frog||Witches' Realm||N/A||Frog||Active|
|Free||Unknown||Partial witch (via Demon Eye)||Wolves||Active|
|Kimial Diehl||Witches' Realm||Tanuki Witch||Tanuki||Active|
|Maba||Witches' Realm||High-Level Witch||Raven||Active|
|Medusa Gorgon||Witches' Realm||High Level/Short Range||Snake||Deceased|
|Shaula Gorgon||Witches' Realm||N/A||Scorpion||Active|
|Tabatha Butterfly||Witches' Realm||N/A||Butterfly||Active|
|Taruho Firefly||Witches' Realm||N/A||Firefly||Active|
|Unnamed Curly-Tailed Lizard Witch||Witches' Realm||N/A||Lizard||Active|
|Unnamed Fox Witch||Witches' Realm||N/A||Fox||Active|
- The written language used by Witches is known as "Witch Text".
- In the Yen Press English translation, Tezca Tlipoca refers to a "Fifth Power," later revealed to be the witches. A fifth power, or "quintessence," may refer to the Fifth Element or the Aether, an element beyond the conventional four: air, fire, earth, and water. The quintessence also may refer to a hypothetical form of dark energy. Based on witches' closeness to dark magic and their operation outside of a normal world, Tezca's potentially unintentional comparison of witches to the Aether and Dark Energy is apt.
- Part of a duty of a Death God seems to include investigating Witch-related incidents. While Death himself was the individual who performed this task, it has since been delegated to Death the Kid.